Monday, September 8, 2014

#MakerMonday

You might be wondering whose feet these are and why they are there.  These are actually my feet resting after a glorious day of #MakerMonday with The Davis Academy students.  What a day it was!  I'm going to admit that I was a little nervous at first.  What if the students were bored or worse, what if no one came?  OR, what if they ran circles around me and I couldn't control our young makers.  Happily, none of these fears came to light.  In fact, it was so much fun that I can't wait to do it again!  


I was impressed with the students' creativity, independence, and enthusiasm.  Some of them came away with great new inventions: feather dusters, a computer built of Legos, and pipe cleaner necklaces.  Others may not have walked away with something tangible but they dabbled in a new skill: programming, animating, and/or coding.  I saw students having Sphero ball duels to see who could outrun the other.  I saw a student watch a tutorial on the ScratchJr. app and in minutes create a three slide animation filled with colorful sprites that could speak to each other.  At one point, I overheard a student say, "this is better than recess".  I couldn't believe it.  Better than recess?! It really was a magical day and luckily, we all walked away with new found knowledge.  Although I have such confidence in our students, today reminded me that we really are a community of learners bonded together by our shared passions and a thirst for the freedom to make. 


No comments:

Post a Comment